Sunday, June 4, 2017

Cons, oy veh!

I've been snubbed by cons. I've been welcomed by them.  Mostly I'm ignored by them. But, something that happened today completely baffled me.  First off, we're talking about the non profit conventions that run for two or three days. Some of them move around the country. Some stay put. They're not like the commercial cons that exist to sell stuff like autographs and merchandise. Okay, I got a call asking me if I was David Riley?  Well, that is my name so I admitted it.  She told me she was with some con back east [I ain't saying which one].  Then she asked if I'd gotten tired of living in England.  Oy Veh.

You see, there's another David Riley.  We've never actually met. He lives in England and I live in Arizona, USA [and lived formerly in Colorado].  We're aware of each other and have posted stuff on blogs.  He goes by David A. Riley. I go by David B. Riley,  And every now and then someone asks me to autograph one of his books or stories.  I keep swearing I'm going to start doing that--signing his books.  I doubt he gets many of mine as I have had very little published or sold in the UK.  Heck the editor of  a big anthology a few years ago, tried to buy reprint rights from me for one of his stories.. Uh, well, uh...

And now, uh, "I think you have the wrong David. I told the con lady.  We're both HWA members. His address is in the member directory.  Other than that, he's got some book store in England and is on the Internet."   

"Well, you don't have to be so rude!"

"Lady, I did not call you. You called me."

"If you were any good, you'd have a pen name!"

And that was the end of that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment